November 4, 2010

Gratitude: Cloth

Did you know the average disposable diaper takes 500 to 600 years to biodegrade.
ONE DIAPER.
Sure they are cheap (averaging out at about 25 cents per diaper) but they aren't good for the enviroment, you are putting chemichals all over your baby and they aren't cute.
Cloth diapering on the other hand is becoming the new trendy thing to do.
History likes to repeat itself after all.
It's expensive though, right?
It can be but it doesn't have to be.
Say the Little Man wore diapers until he was 3. (boys are usually later to potty train)
Say he averaged 10 diapers a day.
365 {days} x 3 {years} =  1095 days
10 {diapers} x .25 {price of diaper}= $2.50 a day
2.50 {cost per day} x 1095 {# of days} = $2,737.50
THAT IS A LOT OF MONEY
Now say you bought 20 cloth diapers at $25 a piece.
$500

That is a savings of $1,873.50

I was sold.

I decided to start out by trying some easy diapers.  Ones that weren't too expensive in case I didn't like it.
My friend Brittney guided me to Luvyourbaby.  The website isn't the greatest but I am in love with there diapers. . . which were $7 a piece starting price.

We got them last night. Prepped them and Little Man slept in them.

He only woke up once which is huge for him.  I say it's because of the cloth.

So one day into cloth diapering I am loving it and yes, I have had a dirty diaper. :D

 All Ten diapers laid out

 Close up
 Cute Snaps
 Velcro closures
 Shells waiting while pads are washing
 Doesn't he look so happy?
Striking a pose

I am grateful for the option of saving money and doing what I feel is best for the Little Man.
I am grateful it wasn't too expensive or hard to make the switch.
I am grateful Little Man is sleeping better which in turn means I slept better!

5 comments:

Janelle said...

We looked into cloth diapers before Julie was born. My experience with them was limited to the old fashioned ones that you had to fold, and the plastic pant things that went over them. I didn't know about all these cool new systems. My mom had used a diaper delivery service with me and my siblings, so we looked into that. There is one in our area, but it's on the far side of town, and they don't service our suburb. So we talked about buying the diapers and doing it ourselves.

When we calculated the costs, we included water for washing in the comparison as well, and decided that the savings wasn't enough to make a huge dent. The "green" benefits even became debateable when you think about how much extra water you're using, and what you're putting into it.

We've used disposables, because it's just been easy. If I had known about the newer easy systems, and also thought about how we could use child #1's diapers on future children also, we probably would have gone the cloth route.

At this point, my daughter is of a potty-training age (thought she's not yet interested, and we think we're probably only going to have one more child. So again, the savings are debatable. I might still do it, though, because I'd rather do cloth than disposable, on principle.

Kristy Cefalo said...

Hannah,

I just read through a ton of your posts. Your kid is so stinkin cute! He could seriously be a baby model.

Mandi C said...

I've been debating about switching over. You'll have to let me know how it goes! By the way, he is SO cute! I can't believe how big he is getting!! :D

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

I have read about these and was also sold right away! Whenever I have kids I so going this route! Saves you money, better for the environment, AND better for your baby!

Sierra said...

Interesting... definitely food for thought! Thanks for sharing :-)