December 6, 2014

Finding out we were pregnant

While I have rarely had to begin one of my blog posts with a warning, I am starting this one with one.
If you have struggled with infertility, this post might be hard to read. I love all my friends and I want to do my best not to offend you while still being honest.

So originally Matt and I had planned on having 3 babies with about a 2 year gap between each kid. As B was approaching 18 months we looked at our lives and were happy where we were. Sure there were things that we would change but overall we were happy.  We decided that we didn't want to try for a baby.

By the time B's second birthday hit in June of 2014 I wasn't sure I wanted anymore kids. The boys at age 4 and 2 were a handful and took most of my energy. I was thinking that although I had been the one to originally push our family goal size from 2 kids to 3 that ultimately I just wanted 2.

Mid-August on life got rough. You know when you just feel like you can't be making the right choices because nothing seems to be going your way? Yeah, that is where we were.

Sept. 27 I had to work an event at Seagull Book. There I found out one of my coworkers was expecting. As the morning went on I realized my fairly normal flow was a day late. So I popped over to the dollar store and bought a little test.

I went home had lunch with the boys then headed upstairs to do my business. I was sure that I wasn't pregnant. So I did what I had to do and left the room to come back 2 minutes later to find 2 very distinct lines.

I yelled down to Matt. I wasn't happy. I was overwhelmed. How did this happen?!? Obviously I know how babies are made but. . . really???? We were pregnant - now?  Of all times?

Matt came up and looked at it. I could tell that mentally he was going through all I was going through.

The one positive was that I was 4 ish weeks pregnant and not sick. I had been severely sick with both pregnancies before I could even take a test. Maybe this pregnancy would be different.

By the time week 6 hit I was as sick as ever but this time I was exhausted. I could barely keep my eyes open. My midwives were kind enough to set me up at the hospitals infusion center to go get 2 liters of fluid 2-3 x's a week. That helped but I was still exhausted ALL THE TIME!!!

November 10 2014 I had a first trimester ultrasound. It kinda felt like an added bonus. You see since we weren't trying to get pregnant we had already had an ultrasound on Oct 3 2014 to verify how far along in my pregnancy I was. That ultrasound was so early that all we could see was the one healthy sac.

Since Matt couldn't come with me I decided to bring L. He is so excited about the new baby (now babies) that it seemed like a great idea and a nice way to spend some one on one time with him.

As we were driving along I-15 and L dozed off I couldn't help but wonder (as I had many times this pregnancy but never said out loud) if there were twins. I mean I was so exhausted, this pregnancy felt so different, it had to be something. So I pepped talked myself as I exited on Beck St. "Hannah, it's not twins. How could it be twins. There are no twins in your family. Not for like 100 years!"*

So we go up and we wait at the Maternal Diagnostics office at the hospital. L colors me a picture while we watch Peg + Cat on the tv, and I tell him stories about when he was born and when his brother was born on that very floor.

After waiting over an hour we are called back to our room. L was upset he'd left his crayons behind. Once I got him situated on his chair I assumed the position. Lowering my maternity pants (yes I was already in them at 9 weeks because I felt so big to me) we positioned everything and she squirted me with the warm goo.

L laughed as I explained the goo to him. Then as he and I looked towards the screen there were 2 babies. That is right. . . 2!

After lots of shocked sentences, many which resulted in L telling me I said a "gross word", I was sent home with an ultrasound of baby AAA and baby BBB. We were having twins.

L was telling everyone we saw as we walked to our car that I had 2 babies. He was so excited he was just beaming. I knew I had to let him break the news to Matt. But I needed someone to talk to. So I did what every girl in my situation would do. I called my Mom.

Mom just let out one of her little excited yells and laughed. She was just what I needed. The news of twins was so overwhelming, I didn't know what emotion to feel. Thanks to my Momma I chose to feel Joy! Sure there are scary things that lay before us with twins but my mom only focused on the awesome stuff. I will forever be grateful for that.

Coming home we came into the basement where Matt and B were playing together.  L excitedly told his daddy "I am going to have 2 babies!" Matt just stared at me blankly. I think he said something like "ha ha" that is when I handed him the ultrasound and the reality hit him.

After he got his time to process we were both so excited. We facedtimed Matt's parents who are living up near Bear Lake. I called all my siblings and then eventually my dad came over. (I wanted to tell him in person) He had kinda called it since he knew I'd had an ultrasound that day. But the excitement our family gave us was awesome!

Our life will certainly be much crazier come May 2015 but we are excited to go from a family of 4 to a family of 6!

Baby AAA

Baby BBB


This is what twins look like on an ultrasound!
Freaked me out when this was the first image I saw on the screen!



*My Grandpa Gibson had a brother and sister who were twins. Phillip and Phyllis.  They were born July 15 1912! Grandpa had been born in 1907 and died new years eve 1984 so I never even knew him.
So yes I knew twins ran in the family but it wasn't something that was mentioned as more than a joke ever because Grandpa Gibson wasn't really apart of my life.

1 comment:

Marj Congdon said...

I am so excited for you. That's 2 sisters who served in Rutland to have twins. Maybe it the water.