June 19, 2011

Daddy's Day

When I was about 16 years old I started asking my father about his dad. My Grandpa Gibson died new years eve 1984. I wasn't born until August 1985 so I knew nothing about the man.  As my father talked about his Dad he kept referring to him as "daddy."  He said up until the day his father died he had called him Daddy.  For 27 years he called his father Daddy.
From that day on I tried to call my father Daddy because I knew it was such a special word to him.

My parents had to try really hard to have me.  After my Mom had my older sibling she had her tubes tied. When she and dad got married they decided they wanted more children and she had her tubes untied. . . twice. So even though she never had a c-section she has a nice scar just like me and Addie.

They did this in the early eighties. They tried invitro fertilization. Nothing worked.  They were starting to look into adoption when Mom found out she was pregnant with me.

I was blessed with absolutely amazing parents. Because I wasn't blogging on mother's day I am going to include my mom in my father's day post.

Mom ~ You taught me to have strength through all the trials that life may throw my way. You taught me to laugh when all I want to do is cry. You helped me find my passions and excel in them. You always called me out when I was making poor choices. You loved me unconditionally which is really saying something. You influenced my life in so many ways. When I second questioned going on a mission it was your determination that made me know I could and should do it.  I can never thank you enough for all you have done. I love you.

Daddy ~ You can make a ponytail hold tighter than anybody I know. You were always willing to watch price is right with me. You were the best (and only) room father and I loved having you there. Even though you always worked so many hours you made it to every show, recital and game I ever had.  Your example of humility has taught me a lot.  Your knowledge of the atonement is something to be learned from - don't be afraid to share it.  I never doubted that you would always be there for me and love me despite wrong decisions I would make.  Thank you. I love you.

Matthew ~ I couldn't have picked a better dad for Levi if I had tried.  You are so great with him.  He loves when you call home from school and he gets to hear your voice over the phone. He loves when you read him "A great day for up" so much so he will bring the book to you now. I love how much I see of you in him. I love how much I see him wanting to be just like you already - he even drove a car sooner than you did.

Happy Father's day to everyone who has been a father, will be a father or fills in when someone needs a father figure. Daddies are a child's best friend.

1 comment:

Lindsay "Little P" said...

LOVE this post Hannah...