March 27, 2015

30 Weeks. 12 days down 27 days to go

How far along? 30 Weeks day 2. (Before I PPROM'd each week was exciting now it's like winning a marathon!)

Total weight gain: 168, I went and weighed myself at the doctors on the floor.

Maternity clothes: Most people are surprised to see me dressed every day. A lot of women on the floor are on more restrictions then I am and they stay in their pajamas all day. I am lucky that I get to go around the hospital as I want so I am usually in a maxi skirt and shirt or a maxi dress. It's comfy like pj's but gives me the sense of getting something done.

Stretch marks: They don't appear to be growing. I will take that while I can.

Belly Button: It's fun to see it sticking out of my shirts. Nothing I can do to make it go back in.

Sleep: I found myself more tired than I was before. You think bed rest would make you antsy I simply choose to look at this time in the most positive ways that I can. I realize that sooner than I would like I will be the mother of 4. Two active toddlers and two NICU babies. My life will be crazy busy. I am taking use of the time I have and am storing up all the naps I can because I think sleep will be something rare in the next year.

Best moment this week:  Waking up Monday morning having kept my babies in for a whole week while PPROM. That was a goal and I was glad to meet it.
Seeing my boys is the highlight of any day. They seem to be handling everything well but to snuggle them and have alone time with them is a great day.

Levi and I had a really sweet moment the other day. I had learned how to loom knit hats for the twins (as hats and booties are some of the only clothing warn at first in NICU). Levi commented on how small they are. Here is a summary of how the conversation went.

L: the twins are going to be little.
H: Yeah bubba. Because Mommy has a whole in her pool the twins are going to be born on April 23.
L: ah man! I won't get a whole candy bar. (He'd guessed the girls would come May 20)
H: Well I can still get you a candy bar. When the twins come they are going to be really small. That's why mommy made the hats.
L: Will they come home?
H: Well, when they are first born they are most likely going to need some special help so they are going to stay here at the hospital to learn how to eat and grow some more.
L: Who is going to stay with them?
H: Well, Mommy will stay for a couple of days then I will come home to you and I will go back and forth from being with you to being with the twins.
L: NO Mommy! (tears in his eyes) Someone has to take care of the twins. I'm a 5 now. I can take care of Daddy and Bradley. You need to stay and take care of the baby twins.

I am so glad to be his mother. He is kind. He is smart. He is good. And that has nothing to do with Matt and me. It is just the way this sweet boy came.


Movement:  The girls have hiccups often which is funny to watch happen on my belly. Both are starting to move more. Annie is still the more active twin. Indy loves to start kicking rights as I am falling asleep. No matter what time of day if I am falling asleep Indy is kicking.

Food Cravings:  I have been blessed with some non hospital food. That is always a saving grace. I don't feel I have cravings because they are being met.

Symptoms:  Water is still broken (and will be until I am no longer pregnant) and I have the occasional braxton hicks. For the most part though I feel pretty good physically.

Labor Signs:  No signs of labor and they check every 4 hours for them. Never knew I'd be so grateful for a body that doesn't go into labor.

Wedding rings on or off? I'm not gaining much weight and I'm not retaining water so my rings remain a little loose.

Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy and peaceful. Once things are a little more settled and I can sit down and write it out I want to share with you all the blessings we have received in the past 8 months. I recognize that God is so mindful of our family, what is happening to us and is truly helping us. I can't wait to share the story but need a little more time to collect my thoughts and feelings on the matter. 

Looking forward to:  Thursday April 2, 2015. The twins will be 31 weeks old and will be in the safe spot for a vaginal delivery. In birthing twins, the practice of doctors I'm with like both twins to be above 3 lbs for a vaginal delivery. As long as Indy is down we can go for a vaginal birth. The worry is that Annie might flip or become breech after Indy exits. This isn't a big deal as my doctors are trained for births such as breech birth, however they can't do a breech extraction if Annie isn't 3 lbs. By 31 weeks we will feel safe that they are that weight.
Their size on the inside:



What they are doing:
  • Her skin is getting smoother.
  • But her brain is getting wrinklier — to make way for all that essential brain tissue.
  • She's now strong enough to grasp a finger!
What I look like:




No comments: