So for those of you who haven't picked up on the news. . . . We are expecting a baby end of March 2010!!! I know, It is shocking 16 weeks into the pregnancy right?!?! Yeah, I didn't really think so.
So time to answer some commonly received questions.
Were you trying to get pregnant?
That depends on your definition of trying. I had stopped birth control and we were (obviously) sexually active but we weren't counting days or anything like that. I am a firm believer that a couple will know when it is right to start trying and that it will happen when it's supposed to.
Now, I can do math...this is an anniversary baby isn't it?!?
The people of New England aren't stupid. Matt and I went out there for our honeymoon and everyone we stayed with or visited asked this first when they found out we were expecting. After an awkward "....yeah" we would get our congratulations.
Are you really THAT sick?
Yeah, I was. Thank heavens for good meds, a great husband and friends and family who kept me sane during those first 15 weeks. While Hyper Emisis was not fun at all, I am glad for the things I learned during it. However, since I learned those things I am hoping and praying I will never have to go through that EVER again.
Is it weird being pregnant?
Yeah it is. Weird because I don't look pregnant yet so I am just in this really awkward body phase right now. I lost about 15 lbs with all my morning sickness so I am still at a lower weight then when I conceived. So its weird to see my belly starting to form a pooch when I am 15 lbs lighter than I have been in months.
Its also weird to think that there is a little person growing inside you. Matt and I were able to hear the baby's heart beat for the first time at about 9 1/2 weeks along. To hear another heartbeat inside your own body is so weird and exciting all at the same time. I get to hear the heart beat every appointment and it never fails to impress and astound me at the same time.
What is the hardest part about being pregnant?
For me, I feel that it is all the lies you have been preconditioned with your whole life. Being pregnant is wonderful but people also forget to tell you how much of it stinks and hurts and drives you slightly crazy. Yet once you are pregnant, you are officially in the club, and people start telling you the truth about their pregnancies. So I try to be brutally honest with people. Pregnancy can suck but it's totally worth it. Just keep reminding yourself that over and over again.
Is it a boy or girl? Which would you prefer?
We won't find out the babies gender until about mid November. (Yes, that sentence did rhyme!)
There are parts of me that really want a little boy. I just have always wanted to have a boy first for as long as I can remember wanting children. Yet every now and then I see the cutest little girls outfit. Like this and totally want a little girl. So as of now I am undecided on the gender I would prefer.


What names do you have picked out?
If it's a boy we have 4 in the running: Levi Robert, Griffin Darrell, Boston Matthew or Samuel Matthew.
If it's a girl. . . well, I don't really know. For some reason no girl name I have come across sounds good to me at this time. Which means one of two things. 1. We are having a boy. 2. We haven't even come close to a name that our daughter likes. :D
Why did you entitle this blog "starting to become real?"
Okay, so no one has asked that question yet, but they might have without an explanation. The reason this is all starting to become real, feel real, is because we are starting to act on being new parents.
The first time I really felt like this was all happening was when we heard the baby's heart beat. I know I already talked about it but it's such a surreal feeling to hear this wicked fast heart beat inside of your womb. SO cool.
The second time it felt real was when I started getting my baby gut. Having a phy
sical reminder (other then the million trips to the bathroom a day) that there is a little one growing inside of you is really nice. At least I think so.
The third thing came this week. I guess it hasn't come yet but it is on its way. We went to R.C. Willey's and bought a crib! (well put down 20% to reserve it, we have a gift card we want to use towards it.) Its not the one we went in looking at. It's a a more sturdy one that is prettier and seems to be more solid. In other words, we will be cutting back in other ways but our baby is going to have a beautiful crib! Here is what it looks like.
And the last but not least important question
What does the baby look like right now?
I am rounding up to 16 weeks since that's where I will be in two days. According to babycenter.com "Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop."
So our baby looks something like the following:
The size of an avocado
or like pictured below in the uterus:
So there ya have it! That is what is new with us and our baby.
Also please feel free for name suggestions male or female!!! We could use the help! And before we find out what our baby is guess in our poll!

4 comments:
OH MY WORD! I totally remember the avacado phase, I was there a little over a year ago. Hannah, I am so excited for you guys, this is the most amazing change in my life so far. Marriage wasn't that big of a change because I had already been loving him and caring for him for years, but a baby is definately a change! A FANTASTIC change!
Congrats again Hannah... I am so happy for you! I love the honesty of this post :-) You make me happy!
Pregnancy was never my favorite...good thing babies are so cute or no one would ever have more than 1.
I can't wait for grand kids...because I am so done with being pregnant anymore!!!!
You are not weird for not enjoying it...I think it may run in the family.
Again, congratulations! Having a baby is such a miracle. The human body is truly and amazing thing! Pregnancy, Labor, Delivery and a baby are all definatly an experience. It's worth it all!
Post a Comment