August 13, 2009

Trip to the ED

Do you know that they stopped calling it the E.R.??? They did. It's not a room anymore. It is a department. The Emergency Department.
So yesterday I was at work and made my normal trip to the bathroom. literally I do it every day now. After throwing up I returned to my work station and tried to gain some composure. Quickly I found myself running to the bathroom again. This time when I threw up I threw up blood.
For a moment I was thrown back to my mission where a similar thing happened (no, I wasn't preggo that time). My mission president thought I was being dramatic and wouldn't approve me to go see a doctor. Luckily this time my medical decisions were in my hands.
I quickly told my personal manager that I needed to go see a doctor because I had just thrown up pure blood. Her response was not to count out before leaving (something you HAVE to do when you aren't coming back) because she "really needed me to close."
I couldn't believe my ears. If I had a pregnant woman come to me and say she had just thrown up pure blood I doubt that I would be like you still have to close today. So needless to say frustrating.
As I left I called my doctor where I had to leave a message explaining everything. I then drove to my parents house, not wanting to be alone. Addie, Mom and all the kids were there so they kept my mind preoccupied while I waited for the doctor to call back.
Matt and I had been texting the whole time and finally after waiting over a half hour Matt called the Doctor who said we should have gone straight to the E.R.
So Matt left work came and got me and up to the U of U E.D. we went.
They were so busy that I was admitted to a bed in the hall. After doing the vitals and all that fun stuff and telling my story to the DR. I had 5 vials of blood drawn and an I.V. put in.
I got two bags of fluid! For someone who had never had an I.V. before that felt like a lot of fluid. But boy did it make me feel better. Well that and the awesome nausea medicine they gave me. (which I totally got the prescription for!)
After sitting there for four hours we finally got the results I have HYPER EMESIS OF PREGNANCY. Never heard of it? Yeah, neither had I. It is "a severe form of "morning sickness", where the vomiting is excessive and may cause dehydration and chemical imbalances in the body. IT occurs in about 1% of pregnancies, and is usually worse during the 10-12th week of pregnancy. It gets better by the 16th week. Its cause is not well understood. It can be a serious threat to mother and fetus if dehydration becomes severe."
Now doesn't that sound like fun! I know you all wish you could have this "wonderful" experience while pregnant.
Oh well. I am super excited to have this baby and I am willing to go through all this for the baby so it doesn't matter too much. If you could please keep us in your thoughts, prayers, good vibe sending, we would appreciate it.

10 comments:

Murray Family said...

I'm so sorry! I've had a couple of friends with that and it seems so terrible. Good luck with everything. Hopefully the meds will help keep things at bay.

Meggera said...

I am so sorry. What a crappy situation.. I would have b-slapped that manager if I were you. So glad that you are feeling better and that you have the meds!

Janelle said...

I had no idea that hyperemesis was so rare. I've known two or three people that have had it, including my sister-in-law. She had it so bad that she had a port inserted into her thigh, and she had to inject herself with anti-nausea meds every day! And then there are people like me that don't get morning sickness at all.

I'm glad it sounds like you're doing better, and I'm really glad you could feel a difference with getting the fluid in you.

Did you go back to work? I wouldn't have. "Sorry -- the hospital told me I have to take it easy!"

(By the way, I have a hard time referring to it as the E.D., because when I hear those letters, I automatically think Erectile Dysfunction, which is what they referred to before they referred to Emergency Department.)

Gregory said...

Remember how ED is also the abbreviation for Erectile Dysfunction? . . . (and explosive diahrrea, but I made that one up for myself and those really rough days, you know?)
I do.

We need to see you guys before you have this baby and before ours walks and talks.

Jessica Adams said...

Wow, Hannah. First of all I would have told my manager where to go. Seriously.

Second of all, both my sisters who have had children experience the same type of morning sickness to the extreme that they fear me getting pregnant. I do not look forward to that AT ALL. Even the lowest hormone dose of birth control made me throw up until I cracked a rib. True. FUN!

I think you've just given me the motivation to adopt! :)

P.S. I totally think Erectile Dysfuntion too. Or Endogenous Depression. Hence why even though I work in the medical field I still refer to it as the "ER".

Karrie said...

I'm laughing at the Explosive Diahrrea. are you sure you don't have that just out the other end???? JK

Sounds like no fun...I wish I could tell you it gets better but after having 4 kids c-section. I can't...sorry just keepin it real.

It does get better once they are here...you just can't sleep and are totally oblivious to feeling crappy.

Sierra said...

How sad... I would totally pull the civil rights flag on my manager for that crap. It is discrimination. I hope you're doing better now... that really sucks. I hear stuff like this and I am reminded of why pregnancy sounds like something I never want to do :-) Can I just skip straight to the baby? Ha ha

Unknown said...

Wow Hannah, that is scary! Take good care of yourself! It is okay to be selfish!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

Oh take care of yourself hun!! How scary! I'm glad it can be diagnosed and everything

Mike and Michelle said...

Wow, that's crazy! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you get over it quickly. Yes, the U of U hospital is nuts! I think they forget you are there sometimes.