August 17, 2009

not ALLOWED to work.

So remember how I told you all in my last post about my "charming" boss whose kind response to vomiting up blood is "I need you to close?" Well, now I got some stories for you all.
We will call her Sarah because when I used her name on Facebook I got in trouble. (Probably because she doesn't want me to disservice the bank by telling people about how I feel I am treated there.)
When Sarah first started there I could tell she didn't like me. Sarah drives a H-U-G-E truck. I drive my cute little P.T. Crusier. She loves driving off in the wilderness to camp and while I enjoy camping at a campsite I would much prefer to vacation in Hawaii. Before pregnancy I made sure I wore nice work pants every day and appropriate work shirts. She literally wears a blue wife beater with a black sweater on a regular basis. We are just different.
However I thought we might be able to bond when she learned I was pregnant because she has under a year old baby. So she might be able to recognize how I am feeling and what I am going through. Truth be told the branch manager (who's wife is almost due) and the relationship manager (no babies there) are way more sympathetic then she is.
Wednesday morning as I watched my fellow teller surf the web I started to feel my breakfast deciding to not stay in my stomach. I quickly locked up and excused myself to the restroom. I was gone maybe five minutes taking care of business and came back to my station as quickly as possible. I had a red face, runny nose, blood shot eyes and a toilet bowl mark on my forehead. The other teller was still surfing as Sarah walks up and says that she needs me to be more productive.
A few minutes later is when I threw up blood to which as you all know her response was "I really need you to close today." Not "are you okay," "How can I help" "what do we need to do" but "I really need you to close today because I am closing platform side and can't close your side too."
Well so after our stay at the E.R. *now that I know E.D. also stands for erectile dysfunction I have to use E.R.* I wasn't able to get back in time to close so I called once we got home and I could lie down. Sarah nor the branch manager answered their phones so I left them both a message explaining what was going on then said I would be taking two P.T.O (personal time off) days to recover and regulate my body and work on keeping food down.
Now I am not allowed to return to work unless I have a doctors note. Well my doctor is only available on Wednesday and my appointment is in the late afternoon so I am not ALLOWED to return to work until Thursday.
I have my personal theory that Sarah is trying to get me to quit. I will no longer have any PTO time off for the remainder of the year because they will use it for these days I am forced off. Even if I wanted to opt for no pay the Bank doesn't really "believe in that".
Any advice? Suggestions? THoughts?

13 comments:

Janae said...

When my husband was sick and couldn't return to work until he had a doctor's note, we just bit the bullet and paid the extra money to go to the instacare instead of waiting to go to his regular doctor who was out of town for several days. The doctor there can write you a note if you want to try that. :) Good luck on the pregnancy! I had really bad morning sickness too when I was pregnant. Supposedly it's a sign that the pregnancy is healthy - although it wasn't for me. I hope everything goes well for you though!

MillerNews said...

Hello Hannah! I just happen to read your message on facebook and since I just got done with the first trimester (Yeah morning sickness is gone) I understand where your coming from...I'm sorry about your boss, some ppl shouldn't be bosses when they aren't personal and understanding (it's not like you'll be pregnant for ever!). ANYways...I would just enjoy the break and wait it out. Once you get in the second trimester you'll feel tons better! Morning sickness will be gone and you'll have lots of engery :0)All will be well!! They can't fire you for being pregnant its against the law!

Kristy Cefalo said...

Hannah I feel your pain...or I felt your pain. I was vomiting at least 10 times a day for several weeks. I am sorry. As for your dirty manager. I would document everything. I would also probably see if I could find a doctor that could see me so I could get a note. If your Dr. has a partner check with his office. They might also have an on-call Dr. that could do that for you. I would also send your story to HR. By law they have to keep things confidential and that way they know what is going on. They might request a meeting with you and your manager but you can decide what you want to happen. They are the people out of line. You are doing your best. It's like your friend said. They can't fire you for being pregnant.

Diamond in the Rough said...

I'm sorry you have to go through work junk on top of being ill :( I haven't had to go through this with where I work, but you're right they should be a little more understanding since you aren't going to be pregnant forever. I've always had problems with my pregnancies and having a work place that understands does take the pressure off a little... I hope they get their act together soon, until then try not to stress too much and if saltines don't work out for you (never did for me) try otter pops or different cereals (dry with no milk) those sometimes helped me.

--Joleen Haag

Mandi C said...

Hey! Hope you are feeling better. I had the exact same problem when I was pregnant with Jackson. I had the boss from hell, and was the first employee they'd ever had that was pregnant. Needless to say, they were trying to get me to quit the entire time I was pregnant and working. After it was all over, I found out that there were several things they did that were against the law and considered to be discriminatory. I wish now I would have done something about it (it still bugs me and it's been over 3 years). Make sure you document everything, and keep dates, times, etc of conversations, phone call, whatever you can. That way if it's something that can't be taken care of peacefully, you have proof. I'd request a meeting with your HR or something. Totally go over the boss's head to get it taken care of. I'd also just call your dr's office and see if there is anything they can do for you. A lot of times if there is an on-call doctor, they can sign a note, and if that doesn't work, you could go back to the ER and get them to sign something for you. Hope you can get everything taken care of, and that you get feeling better!

jugglerchic said...

Have you tried to look at this situation from her point of view? Do you know her history? Do you know her past? Don't you think that by posting this you are judging her and even though you may not be putting her real name, I am sure you have friends that know the exact person you are talking about. Also, you mentioned she has a kid under one, and don't you think that could put a little stress into someone's life? How would you feel if you had your kid at home waiting for you and one of your employees says sorry, but I can't do my job today. Yeah, you were vomiting up blood and that is bad, but at the same time it sounds like you didn't really do much to try to find a way to fix the situation much. You focus on your differences so much and by doing that of course there is going to be strain between you two. Maybe if you try to understand her and what she is going through (even though you probably have no idea) you could gain a new friend and possibly stop being so harsh toward her! Also, I think not allowing you to work unless you have a doctors note is a pretty generous thing because if you do have more major problems they won't have to worry as much about you running out and you can focus on your own health for a bit. I'm trying to play the devil's advocate because everyone else here is making it seem like by bashing her you are doing the right thing and you are NOT! You are not justified in the words you have chosen to say and I am a bit shocked. A lot of people use the pregnant excuse, and I'm not saying that your hormones aren't crazy, but still. Sure, what you are going through isn't great, but a lot more people have gone through a lot worse and just be glad you haven't lost your baby yet! (Yeah, I know someone that did just lose their baby so you should be VERY grateful)

Deb said...

I think what they are doing to you is not only wrong, but may be covered under federal law. I believe under the "Family and Medical Leave Act" they have to allow you unpaid time off - this is for businesses with 50 or more employees. I would suggest going to your HR person and work out something..does the bank really want bad PR for treating a pregnant employee this way?

Jessica Adams said...

It might not be what you want to hear, but I bet there are so many women who wish they could be in your boat right now. I know a lot who would go through anything if it meant they could be pregnant or carry a healthy baby full term.

I don't know about you, but I surely wouldn't trade my bag of rocks for anyone else's.

Hannah White said...

clarification for those of you out there who don't know that Matt and I had a miscarriage last year. I do realize how lucky I am to be carrying this baby full term. Unfortunately its the fact that after talking to two people who hold the same job as Sarah they say that my suspicions of her trying to fire me aren't that far off base.
This is my blog, my place to vent. THat is all that is going on here.
I pray every day that I can carry this baby full term and that they will be healthy. I do realize how lucky I am to be this far along right now.
I also need a place where I can vent my feelings to so that I don't bottle them up because that is very unhealthy for the baby.

Sierra said...

What a B****... (sorry). I really can't stand people who take enjoyment from other's misery. I personally would make a complaint to HR. This is discrimination against you as a mother (or soon to be). Employees have the right (especially when pregnant) to take days off. That's why you HAVE it. It's not like a complaint would make it worse... I don't think that's possible

Karrie said...

Hannah it looks like there are a few people with very definite opinions out there....Can you transfer back to your old branch? Are you really going to keep working there after they baby? Do you need the job for your insurance? If you don't need it for insurance and you're not going to work after the baby just quit now...that's my advice....if you have to stay you're gonna just have to deal.

I hate to tell you it's only just starting it probably wont' get much better until the baby is born and then you'll be totally sleep deprived (probably what's wrong with your boss). You come from strong DNA stock so buck up and hang in there... sorry just keeping it real.

Trace & Aub said...

Wow Hannah! I'm sorry you are so sick! All that about work sucks, good luck. Have to admit I am surprised your doctor or an associate is only available on Wed. I would also be mad about that, they should be available to help you when you need it! (not that you aren't already frustrated enough!) Good luck call if you need anything!!

Casey and Diana said...

oh my I just got around to reading your story and WHAT A JERK!!!! Bill has a similar big fat jerk manager and they just have the hardest time relating to other people's problems and can't seem to understand how work isn't everyone else's priority. SO RUDE!! ugh I'm sorry.