So earlier this week I was able to attend the homecoming of an old friend, Todd LaRoy Hooper. Now Todd and I have been friends since grade school.
He is my osonanajimmy (japanese for friends since birth.)
In many ways Todd is more like my twin or little brother than anything else.
Here is a picture of us on Senior year book day.

Our friendship was definitely difficult but as I have reflected on it this past week I have realized how much Todd helped me in life. He helped me learn what it means to forgive continually because we were regularly arguing over something. He taught me that things aren't important but that friendship is vital when he destroyed my collectors baby sitter club book. He taught me that no matter the distance God knows exactly what you need and when you need it when he "happened" to call from Afghanistan on the day I ended my relationship with someone I had planned on marrying, and continued to call for months to check on me.. And he taught me to trust my heart by always letting me feel whatever it was I was feeling without mocking it.
In almost all ways he helped me to be prepared for my "new" best friend.

Now Matthew and I have been friends for years, but not as long as Todd and I, which is why I can call him "new"! There are many things that shaped me to be the woman I am today but its those things I learned with Todd and had confirmed on my mission that helped me to know that Matt was the BEST choice I would ever have on who to marry.
Marriage isn't easy. Anyone who is married will agree to that. It takes lots of work and it also take the ability to forgive for the small or big things your spouse has done to hurt you.
There are sometimes really big wants that you have. Ours is a big screen T.V. or a nice grill. I know though that those things aren't important and that when all is said and done I would much prefer a night talking to Matt than watching the T.V.
When I was on my mission I wrote Matthew a few times at the beginning. Now while he would write responses (i have seen one as proof) he had the problem of never mailing them. I went through a few address books over the course of that time and each time I would come to the W's even though I was mad at Matt for not writing back, I couldn't erase him from my life. I needed to have him there.
Trusting my heart in marrying Matt has been the best decision of my life. He brings me more happiness than I have ever known and he helps me to feel comfortable with myself. Matt is the Best Best friend I have ever had.
Its interesting to see how life prepares you for what lies in front of you. God has truly blessed me with an amazing family and great friends. But my greatest blessing is my "new" best friend.
I love you Matthew.

2 comments:
What a sweet post! Its funny how you talk about how difficult marriage is, cuz that is what Todd and I discussed last night. People make it seem so perfect and wonderful (ESPECIALLY on blogs) but honestly, its more work than dating... its just a different kind of work. Yea for friends :-)
oh how sweet! I'm sure he 'll appreciate that. Oh my dear Hannah, I'm so glad you ended up with someone who truly loves and appreciates you, and that you can call your best friend. That's the ONLY way to get through life really.
Post a Comment