March 4, 2011

What's for dinner?

Tuesday I was bored. I didn't know what to do.
So I decided to see what we had in the fridge and cupboards.
What we had just lying around made a FANTASTIC dinner.
And has inspired me to have a WHAT'S FOR DINNER segment on our blog.
I hope you all enjoy it and share the link and recipes with those you love.

(To view the recipies alone and not the whole blog,
you can also visit us at

So Tuesday we had Parmesan Pasta, Bleu Cheese Chicken and 
Asparagus with Balsamic Glaze.

Let's start with Bleu Cheese Chicken.
Like I said I was cooking with what we had.
I knew we had some chicken we needed to use up so 
I decide to marinade it in the yummiest dressing we have ever found. 
Litehouse Bleu Cheese VINAIGRETTE dressing.


Using a Ziplock baggy I put in one breast of chicken and 1/4 cup dressing.
Then put it in the fridge to marinate for an hour.


After marinating (make sure you at least do a half hour) 
I put it on a baking sheet lined with tin foil.
*Tin foil is awesome because clean up is SO easy*



Cook chicken @ 350 until done (somewhere between 20-30 min depending on your oven.)

Next comes the ASPARAGUS.
Asparagus is probably my favorite vegetable. 
I could eat it everyday and not get sick of it.


First you need to break your asparagus.
Hold it in both hands and bend.
The bad stuff will pop off.

Keep the top half and put the bottom half in your garbage
or compost or wherever you put stuff you aren't keeping.



 Now find some olive oil.
In my opinion on olive oil is to get the good stuff. 
The cheap stuff never tastes as good.



 You need one tablespoon of the best olive oil you can find.


 Put the asparagus in a container, that has a lid, and add the olive oil.


Salt and pepper to personal taste. 
I love me some S &P.
Then put the lid on the cover and shake.


Line up the asparagus on a pan, again lined in tin foil.
Broil for 4-10 minutes, 6 inches below the broiler.
You want your asparagus to be slightly browned when complete.


Shake the asparagus while it cooks so that they move around.
Here is what your final product should look like when you pull it out.


Now for the glaze.
Grab some more olive oil and your balsamic vinegar.


Put 3/4 a cup of balsamic vinegar in a sauce pan.
Cook on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes,
until the liquid condenses to about 1/4 a cup.




It will boil. That is okay.


Put 1/4 cup olive oil in a bowl.


When Balsamic Vinegar has condensed to 1/4 a cup combine with olive oil.


Stir mixture and pour on asparagus.

*Extra glaze makes an amazing bread dip.*

Now grab some angel hair pasta.
For the 2 of us I used 1/2 of a box.



 Bring your water to a boil.


Add pasta to boiling water.
Cook in boiling water until desired tenderness is reached.
(Between 5-8 minutes.)

Drain water and place noodles on plate.
Cover in 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and freshly grated parmesan.

Your final product will look something like this:

Without glaze:

With Glaze:

 Your husband or company will have this look:

And all this can be done with a baby on your back.


1 comment:

April and Jared Fenn said...

i love that you make dinner w/the little man on your back. :) We sure miss having you guys in our ward. LOVE YA!