So someone posted this as an anonymous comment on my last blog
"Seriously? You are sick of condescending Mormons? You should research how humans subconsciously transpose things they hate about themselves onto other people. I.E. Everything that "condescending woman" was to your sister...... you were to your gay brothers and sisters in your blog below. Where was the love? The compassion? The Christ-like behavior? No. You were simply arrogant and condescending to them. Maybe you should look INSIDE for what needs to change. Instead of running away from small minded people. Lol. That's definitely a reflection as well." (spelling corrections have been made)
Regardless of what humans do or do not do subconsciously, I would like now to publicly take a stance on how I feel towards gay people, because apparently someone thinks I do not like them.
I have been around gay people since pretty much the day I was born. My Uncle Steve has been out of the closet since the seventies. (I was born in 1985.) I have never felt anything but love and compassion towards him. Do I feel that being gay is okay? No, I don't. Just like I don't think that my older brother being a drug addict is okay. Do I love gay people and drug addicts any way? IF they are good people yes.
My Uncle Steve and I have a good relationship. He lived in Texas when I was leaving to serve as an L.D.S. missionary. While my uncle does not like many, if any, things about the church because he loves me and my family he came up two weeks prior to spend time with me and to make my going away absolutely beautiful. (He helped re-landscape our backyard.)
Now I was out preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ which teaches to love the sinner and hate the sin. This is the motto which I try to live by.
When Matt and I exited the temple after we were married I hugged my parents, Matt's parents and then went straight to my uncle. No one can doubt that I love him, respect him, admire him and wish him happiness.
I also grew up doing theatre and love the many gay and lesbian people I was able to associate with while I performed. They strengthened me not only as an actor but as a human being. They helped mold me into the person that I am today and I love them very much.
The person who made this comment feels that I am "condescending" because I do not support gay marriage. I believe in civil unions. I want them to have the rights that I so enjoy with my husband. Just because I feel that the term "marriage" is a sacred word and should not be used in homosexual ceremonies does not mean that I do not love and respect homosexuals. I do not choose how I feel for someone based on their sexuality but on how they behave as a person.
And in future anonymous if you have something to say, have the courage to stand behind it and let your voice be heard and take credit for it. Instead of seemingly being ashamed of what you have to say.
7 comments:
When annoying or stupid people leave anonymous comments on your blog, and you re-post and respond to them, you should never correct the spelling or grammar mistakes. They're too much fun. :)
A response well done Hannah.
Nearly every comment I received on my Prop 8 posts on my blog that disagreed with me were made anonymously. I don't understand it. If they feel so strong about their opinion - why be Anonymous?
I agree put you name to it if you feel so strongly about it. Way to tell it like it is.
Why be anonymous? There are a few reasons. (Note: I am not the anonymous poster, nor have I ever done that on a friend's blog.)
1) If it was someone that actually knows the blogger, they may have strong opinions that they feel a need to vocalize, but don't want to put the friendship in jeopardy. So they do it anonymously. If I've ever felt a need to do this, I have usually typed out my indignant response, and then just deleted it, because it's not worth the risk, to me.
2) If they don't know the blogger, but they still have their seemingly self-righteous opinion that absolutely NEEDS sharing, they leave an anonymous comment to avoid being harassed back. While it is a matter of convenience, it is also an act of cowardice.
All I can think of to say is:
People make me laugh.
Really. The guts/stupidity/whatever of people! Sometimes it is so extreme it literally makes me chuckle.
Remember how this is YOUR blog? And you're entitled to your own opinion on YOUR blog? People who have to throw in their 2 cents about EVERYTHING they disagree on bother me.
Anyway, I love you and I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I am going to add your blog to my list if that is okay with you. By the way, I completely agree with you on the matter.
Hey I hope it's just life and being busy that has prevented you from putting up any new posts and not the anonymous commenter.
Hey, if you two don't have a ton of houses to visit you can come here on Christmas Eve for soup and scones.
Post a Comment